|This is the sauce recipe that my mother made when I was growing up. Every Saturday a huge pot would be boiling for hours preparing enough sauce for the rest of the week. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.|
Famous Meat Sauce for Pasta
Est. time: 3-4 hours
3 kinds of meat: ground chuck, Italian sausage, pork spare ribs, beef ribs, pieces of chuck steak, veal chop, shoulder lamb chop.
4-12 cloves garlic (sliced thick)
3 large cans crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 cups of water
Chopped parsley, dried oregano, and dried basil to taste
Use two or three kinds of meat in
any combination, e.g., ground chuck,
· Brown meat on all sides in olive oil in large saucepan.
· Take out each piece as it browns and reserve in a bowl.
· Sauté several cloves (4-12) of garlic in the same oil until transparent, not brown.
· Add 3 large cans of crushed tomatoes and 1 small can of tomato paste (diluted with 2 cups of water) to the garlic in the pan.
· Return meat to the pan.
· Add more water if needed so that sauce can boil down to proper thickness.
· Simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and color of tomatoes has darkened, about 2-3 hours.
· In the last 15 minutes add chopped parsley, dried oregano, and dried basil to taste.
· Cooking time may be less if you are only using ground beef and sausage.
Quantities depend on the taste of the cook. Only a small amount of meat is required but you may want more if the meat is to be the main course. We make it different every time depending on what is in the refrigerator and who will be eating it. Three kinds of meat give the best flavor.
Please leave comments and suggestions here: https://goo.gl/forms/4iSGCg7nbRAPart73